It is not possible to establish with certainty when Jews first lived in Datterode. In the villages of the Ringgau, a few of them appeared at the end of the 16th century. The long history of their expulsion from their homeland and their dispersion across Europe cannot be recounted in this venue. Their role in the small villages, where they were more or less tolerated as a minority, is not as directly traceable as in the larger towns and cities (as, for example in Abterode or Reichensachsen), where they were able to form strong communities. It is somewhat improbable that Märten Moyse of Datterode, who was murdered in Röhrda in 1546, was a Jew, due to his first name, Martin. One of the first definite references is from the year 1595. In a letter dated 14 July 1595, the advisors to the Landgrave of Kassel ask the Governor of the Werra Region about “the Jews of Datterode, in reference to stopping the distribution of counterfeit coins”. Counterfeiting was a crime that was frequently mentioned in the records. – not unexpected, because of the large number of towns where coins were minted – and it was also no wonder that the Jews had to earn their living from money-dealing and exchange, since “respectable handicraft” had been forbidden to them for a long time. The name of the Datterode Jew of 1595 is unfortunately not known, and just as little is known of his fate. The fact that he did not want to speak was interpreted to his detriment:. “There must be more behind it. He cannot be innocent.” For a long time we hear nothing about the Jews in Datterode. The annual accounts of the Jews’ protection money – a kind of head tax for the right to reside – show nothing until the year 1672. Not until 1673 and 1674 was Löwe Heilbrunn registered with 2 Gulden of protection money.
The real beginning of the history of the Jews in Datterode lies, however, in the year 1683. It was in that year that, for the first time, Meyer Calman, later known only as Meyer, paid 2 Gulden of protection money annually, and remained in the village to raise his family. In a later entry, we see that he came here to Datterode from Gerbershausen auf dem Eichsfeld. He received his Letter of Protection – the final formal residence permit – on 22 February 1697. In 1729 he still lived here with his son and his family. A list from that year indicates “Calmann Meyer, 1 wife, 2 sons, 1 daughter, the oldest son 11 years of age, and the daughter 6 years. He boils soap and has a small shop in his home, as well as other domestic activities. His old father has no Letter of Protection, and was born in Datterode.”
“Meyer Calmann, the father of the above. His 1 son and 2 daughters are all married, and he no longer is engaged in business. Letter of Protection of 22 February 1697”; He is from Gerbershausen and he is supposed to have paid his entry fee through a previous agreement with the Jews.”
“David Heilbrunn, his wife, deals in horses, has no Letter of Protection, is from Wichmannshausen and has not paid his entry fee.”
A similar record, from 1 May 1731, shows no significant changes:
“Calman Meyer, wife and 4 children, with the aged father, David Heilbrunn, his wife and one child.”
The 1737 tax roll of Datterode names three Jews in the village:
“No. 97 Sandel the Jew, has nothing”;
“No. 98 Calman Meyer, house, croft and garden verge on Davidt Schmul;
“No. 99 Davidt Schmul, house, croft and garden verge on Conrad Bachmann, ¼ acre of land at the Nestberge, 1 cow.”
The Jew Sandel is mentioned only here, and either was overlooked in the subsequent listings or moved elsewhere. His name suggests a connection with Sander Pfifferling, who appeared only after 1800.
By 1740, the number of Jews in the County of Hesse had increased to approximately 4,000. Because of their high mobility, they were not all detected by the bureaucracy, so the census of 1744, despite its greater accuracy, did not achieve its purpose, namely to expel those Jews who had no authorization to take up residence. From further sources, such as tax ledgers, etc., it can be seen that many Jews remained, despite their not being permitted to reside in the County.
In the warehouse-, inventory- and tax book of 1745 (cf. “Village Discription of 1745”), there are two Jewish families shown as living in Datterode:
“No. 74, Calman Meyer, deals in cows and retail sales, house and croft verge on David Schmoll.”
“No. 75, David Samuel, residence and croft verge on Christian Bachmann.”
The simultaneous so-called “Business Posting” provides some additional information: “Callmann Meyer, has his own house, deals in cows and retail sales, annually slaughters in his store approximately ten head of cattle and as many calves, has a wife, 1 son, 1 daughter. David Samuell, has his own house of similar value, carries on a poor business with old cows and does not have many assets.
Additional details about the ownership of both Jewish houses can be inferred from the real estate tax register, but even this does not provide a complete picture. Thus, In 1763, Calman Meyer’s house was turned over to his son, Baruch Calmen. The village map of 1790 also reflects this inheritance. In 1841, Salomon Löbenstein received the house. Presumably, the family living in the house remained the same. At the beginning of the 19th century, Jews were required to adopt permanent family names. The house of David Samuel was transferred in 1763 to Moses Heilbrunn, and then in 1771came into the possession of non-Jews: to Johannes Lotz, Caspar Vogeler and Conrad Eisel, and in 1809, a Jew, Callman Baruch, clearly a son of Baruch Calmen, lived in the adjoining house. He took the name Löbenstein, and in 1829 it went to his son (!) Israel Löbenstein. Further, according to a letter of purchase dated 14 August 1928, Sander Pfifferling acquired House No. 14 from Johannes Munck. Further developments from 1845 to about 1875 can be inferred from the real estate tax registers of that time:
House No. 8 (old No. 14): In 1845, Sander Pfifferling’s inheritors, namely 1. Beile Pfifferling, who was married to Katz of Netra; 2. Joseph Pfifferling, from here; 3. Sara Pfifferling; Kalmen Pfifferling; 5. Lea Pfifferling, married to Katz of Netra.
On 30 July 1858, Joseph Pfifferling. Sander’s son, acquired Titles 1 and 5, and on 13 Feb 1868 Title 4 was transferred to Joseph Pfifferling’s children: 1. Beschen, 2. Bernhardt, 3. Sander, 4. Baruch, 5. Minkchen, 6. Lea, 7. Berle, 8. Jacob, 9. Marcus, 10. Malchen, 11. Sarchen, 12. Levi and 13. Giedel.
The dry goods dealer, Albert Pfifferling (called “Tambour”) lived in House No. 8 until his death on 15 Jul 1933, together with his wife Toni, nee Rothschild, two daughters and one son (Julius). Minke and Jacob Pfifferling emigrated to America in 1871.
House No. 31, after the First World War, was occupied by the merchant Baruch Lobenstein, his wife Helena, and two daughters.
House No. 64 was acquired by Callmann Pfifferling and his wife Sara, geb. Hess, in 1852, from August Theodor Streibelein’s widow, together with 5/8 acres “Auf der Schleife”. In 1868 it was 1 1/8 acres of land. Cattle merchant Hermann Pfifferling, who died on 15 January 1938, lived here with his wife Jeanette, who died on 5 April 1937. The couple had three daughters and a son Karl, who emigrated to New York (went away from Datterode on 12 January 1938 - took the ship "Manhattan" from Hamburg on 16 January 1938), to whom the house was returned in 1950 (next owner barber Karl Köbrich/today hairdressing salon Fissmann, Leipziger Str. 4 - Leipziger Street No. 4).